page 1 of 2
Amazon offers one of the largest selections of video content, featuring over 140,000 movies and tv shows to rent or buy. With an Amazon Prime subscription, you can watch many of these for a low monthly subscription price of $8.99. Unfortunately, Amazon does not have a content channel for Apple TV. Apple TV is one of the few devices that doesn’t support Amazon Instant Video. Hundreds of smart TVs support it, as well as select game consoles and Roku’s streaming media player.
The Amazon Video app for iOS allows Amazon Prime subscribers to beam video onto Apple TV using AirPlay. If you don’t subscribe to Amazon Prime Video, AirPlay is disabled for free videos. You can’t use mirroring or any AirPlay functionality unless you subscribe. Let’s take a look at how to beam Amazon Prime Video to Apple TV using AirPlay.
First, launch the App Store and search for the Amazon Video app.
Tap on the Open button to launch the Amazon Video app after it has finished installing.
Next, enter your password and mobile phone number or email address. Tap the Sign In button to proceed.
The Amazon Video home screen appears. Tap on a TV show or movie to select it.
The video details screen is displayed. Select an episode or tap Watch Episode 1 to start the video.
The video playback screen will appear and the episode will begin playing. Tap on the AirPlay icon to display the AirPlay menu. If the AirPlay icon disappears, tap anywhere on the screen to display it.
The AirPlay menu is displayed. Select your Apple TV from the list of devices. Your video will now be displayed on Apple TV.
As mentioned, you must subscribe to Amazon Prime Video in order to use AirPlay on an iOS device. If you are not a Prime subscriber, you will see an error message.
I even tried AirPlay mirroring, but they have that loophole covered too. Amazon has effectively hobbled AirPlay for non-subscribing users.
You can also play Amazon Video on Apple TV using AirPlay and your computer. This will even work for free videos. You don’t need to subscribe to Amazon Prime Video to use AirPlay from a computer. Fortunately, whether you have a PC or Mac, you will be able to mirror your screen using either AirParrot or OS X’s (Mountain Lion or later) built-in support for AirPlay screen mirroring. OS X Mountain Lion introduced AirPlay screen mirroring, however this only works with recent Macs. If you don’t have a recent Mac or use a Windows PC, you can achieve AirPlay screen mirroring with a third-party application. I recommend AirParrot.
If your computer is in another room, AirPlay screen mirroring can be an exhausting experience. You will have to run between rooms to stop and start the video. I recommend using remote access software, such as Splashtop for iOS. With Splashtop, you can control your computer with your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch, while it is playing a video over AirPlay screen mirroring. This works well, but you have to start the software in the correct order. Follow these instructions to setup a media system with AirParrot and Splashtop. You can use this for anything, beyond Amazon. I often use it to watch Star Trek episodes. Football fans who have cancelled cable in favor of online offerings can also use AirParrot to watch NFL games on the big screen. It’s a great way to fill in the gaps that aren’t covered by Apple TV, for now. (continue…)
- At long last, Amazon will be launching an Apple TV app this summer! Users will soon be able to stream Amazon Prime Video directly on Apple TV.
- Interested in tvOS apps for the new Apple TV? Check out “Apple TV tvOS Apps”. The article features top 10 free and paid Apple TV apps, in addition to a video displaying every tvOS app in the Apple TV App Store. UPDATED MONTHLY
- “Apple TV 4: The Unofficial Manual” is now available. Learn more about how to use your new Apple TV 4. It’s also a great resource for those considering purchasing a new Apple TV 4.
- Amazon will be launching a tvOS app soon. The app will enable access to Amazon Video directly from the fourth generation Apple TV. It is unclear whether Siri will be able to work with Amazon’s upcoming app.
- The Amazon Instant Video app for iOS supports AirPlay. You can now watch Amazon Prime content using an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. Simply start the video and tap the AirPlay icon on the lower right corner of the screen, and the video will beam to Apple TV.
Follow Appledystopia on Google News
Share This Page